Montpelier, Vermont is famous not only for being the state’s capital city — but also for being the smallest capital city in the entire country. While most U.S. capital cities are bustling metropolitan hubs, Montpelier has a population of just more than 8,000 residents, offering a welcoming hometown charm combined with local city amenities.
Before you begin your day of sightseeing in Montpelier, you are going to want to nourish yourself with a delicious breakfast.
The Best Breakfast Spots in Montpelier
Situated on the edge of the Winooski River and with the Green Mountains in the background, Montpelier is one of the most beautiful cities in Vermont. As you soak up the views that surround you, you are going to want to fuel up with a delicious breakfast.
If you find yourself looking for the best breakfast restaurants in Montpelier, chances are you want a diner or sit-down restaurant that will be convenient and delicious before a day of exploring. Skinny Pancake in Montpelier is located in the heart of the city’s historic downtown area, on the corner of State and Main streets. Both visitors and locals alike appreciate being able to start their day in a sweet or savory way at this restaurant.
Skinny Pancake has an extensive breakfast menu, but some of their most well-known crepes include:
- The Sugarshack — A sweet crepe that is filled with Vermont maple sugar and melted Cabot butter, topped with Vermont maple syrup.
- The PBB&Bee — Another sweet crepe with a local twist. This peanut butter and banana crepe is drizzled with local Vermont honey.
- The Lumberjack — A classic savory crepe that is made with ham and Cabot cheddar.
Other Montpelier Breakfast Restaurants to Try
If you aren’t craving crepes today, you don’t have to worry. There are several other delicious Montpelier breakfast restaurants, including:
- Wayside Restaurant, Bakery and Creamery — A local staple that has been serving up homemade Yankee food since 1918. Those who live in Montpelier know that this restaurant is most famous for its country-style breakfast.
- Capitol Grounds Cafe — For a quick, on-the-go meal, consider grabbing a breakfast sandwich and a cup of locally-roasted coffee at Capitol Grounds Cafe.
What to Do After Enjoying Breakfast near Montpelier
Once your belly is full and your soul feels refreshed, you will be ready for a day of exploring the charming town of Montpelier. Some of the best things to see and do in the city include:
- Exploring the Vermont Historical Society Museum, and learning more about the history of the state through artifacts and exhibits.
- Visiting the Bragg Farm Sugar House and tasting authentic Vermont maple syrup for yourself.
- Heading to the Coburn Covered Bridge for a quintessential Montpelier photo opportunity.